Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Fear?

There are so many different ways that fear plays a part in a persons life. It can effect everything from the way that you drive to the way that you love...especially the way that you love. This can be taken in so many different ways. It can be in the way that you love your spouse to the way that you love Jesus. They are both difficult and have many different aspects of fear in them. When you really just sit down and think about it you'll realize that fear has impacted almost, if not every, aspect of your life. It can even be the trust of a friend because your friend at 4 years old stole your GI Joe. The problem is the way that we allow these things to effect our lives. I have always had a hard time feeling loved or cared for by a girlfriend if there isn't a strong physical intimacy there. I used to feel that it was a must in the relationship. I have been building an amazing relationship with God that gives me the moral judgement to say that it is the wrong way to go into that relationship but at the same time it is the only thing that I have known. That is where the trust in God comes in. This is SCARY for me to trust God!!! I'm far too independent and stubborn to just surrender my free will. God is helping me with this in the way that he is moving in my life. My fear is being replaced by faith.....or maybe it's something else. Maybe it's the decision that there is something more important than the fear.

Ok, enough of my ramblings. It's late and my mind is foggy so please feel free to add to this or express your feelings towards this. Don't worry about hurting my feeling. I'm far to shallow to feel the pain for to long. I look forward to your thoughts and our conversations. Be blessed.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ok... This topic is tough. You have such a good point though. Fear has been one of my biggest battles. I've always idolized those people, and storybook characters, who seem to be fearless. The apostle Paul, Eowyn, Indiana Jones, Belle from beauty and the beast, Mother Theresa... The list really could go on and on. But you're point, that they were afraid too, is good. Have you ever read Hind's Feet on High Places? It's more of a chick book, but I still think that it would be good for everyone to read.... that's a side note by the way...
Anyway, fear has been one of the toughest areas to deal with for me. Fear of failure, fear of imperfection, fear of trusting people, fear of betrayal, fear of not being accepted and liked, fear of my sin, and fear of being abandoned by God... For a good portion of my life I believed two specific things (well, there were more, but these were the big ones) that hindered me in growing closer to God: 1. my value and acceptance is determined by how well I perform achieve and excel, 2. I have been accepted to God's family on "provisional" status... meaning I could be let go at any moment without warning. I know they sound rediculous, but I really believed it... and even now, struggle to keep truth at the forefront of my mind. One thing that I've seen, though, is that these beliefs have dictated how I live my life. How I react to every situation, how I interact with people, and what my personal life looks like.
In light of all of this, it maybe makes a little more sense why I have a somewhat skewed view of courage and fear. It makes me wonder if courage without fear is just foolishness. But it seems that every step we take toward doing what's right in spite of our fear is courage. Maybe what I'm really after is courage, not fearlessness... I like this turn in the conversation. It's challenging, but I'm looking forward to where it goes. I hope sleep cures your brain fog :)

Jessica said...

Read the Brother Lawrence book first!!! It'll rock you!!

Dean said...

"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it." Perhaps from Mark Twain.

I would agree that courage without fear is foolishness. In fact I don't think that one can have courage without the presence of fear, as courage is the "stuff" that enables one to overcome fear and act in accordance with the will. So much for the theory.

For me, fear is what has kept me in bad relationships, kept me from entering good ones, kept me believing in God, kept me from believing that good things may last,... The list goes on.

Being poetic, I'd say that: Fear is that which I must overcome if I am to become the man I desire to be.